Monday, February 09, 2009

You Know You're a New Yorker..

…you say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan.

..when you're standing in a packed subway car with 200 hundred other people and everyone manages to avoid looking at each other

…you can pick out the tourists when they turn their heads to the "ladies and gentlemen this is an important announcement from the MTA" message

…when you're away from home, you miss "real" pizza and bagels.

…you can ignore homeless people without feeling too bad

…you can walk through "The City" for hours and not get tired but once your out of NYC and walk for 10 minutes you feel exhausted.

…rather than waiting safely on the sidewalk to cross the street, you wait inches away from speeding traffic waiting to cut through it.

…you have jaywalked in front of a cop. More than once. And they didn't care.

...you're 35 years old and don't have a driver's license.

...you ride in a subway car with no air conditioning, just because there are seats available.

... you are going home from work by subway and you know exactly where on the platform the doors will open and leave you right in front of the stairways at your home station.

...you cringe at hearing people pronounce Houston St. like the city in Texas

...you start thinking that a 500 square foot apartment is large.

...you see Harrison Ford walking down the street and nobody seemed to care to look at him.

...you know who Dr. Zizmor is.

...you have at least 50 menus in your apartment, two thirds of which you have neither ordered from nor even heard of.

...you wouldn't dream of going to Times Square on New Year's Eve.

...you freak out because a stranger says hello.

...someone bumps into you, and you check for your wallet.

...you pay no attention to the nice lady walking down the road having a perfectly normal conversation with herself.

...you understand that the plural form of you is youse.

...Nothing is north or south, it's uptown or downtown.

9 comments:

Kristen said...

So, how do you pronounce Houston?

(Love your background design.)

Anna said...

"House-ton" Weird, huh. It originated from "House Town" because the area was mostly made up of houses, instead of farms. SoHo was shortened from South of House Town.

And on another note...Glad you commented! Now I can stalk you.

Ashley said...

I love this! I might have to post this on my blog (and give you credit of course!) cause I love it that much!

Leslie said...

I love this! Way more manageable than my stinking long list. :) Who is Dr. Zizmor anyway?

Andrea, the little collector said...

Guess I'm a New Yorker! Not only do I know who Dr. Zizmor is, I could in fact pick him out of a line up.

Fun new background!!!

caseyandmelody said...

I didn't realize you guys were on here! YAY!!!!! I miss my Anna more than anything. You are seriously the best person ever....

Leah Z said...

I was trying to figure out if you made these up or if they were original and when I read "Dr. Zizmor" I knew it was original! I keep trying to get a photograph of that ad to horrify my old comms department chums with.

Leah Z said...

OK - you've got me thinking now. Other New Yorker symptoms:

Your grocery list is not limited by your budget, but by what you can carry.

A Target trip is like going to Disneyland, and you start to wonder if maybe Costco is just a beautiful dream.

You start talking to the roaches.

You're oblivious to your cabby's driving, but when you leave the city, everyone else's scares you to death.

You know "my train was late" is an excuse for anything.

MomWoolf said...

I read way too late. How long ago did you post this? I'm not a New Yorker, but I know who Dr. Zizmor is (Although I don't remember what he looks like - I guess that shows that I'm only a part-time New Yorker).