Monday, June 08, 2009

quick update

Just finished my season with the Carolyn Dorfman Dance Company. For our last show we traveled to Detroit, MI to performa at the largest Jewish Community Center in North America. It was a pretty schnazzy center. It was an enjoyable performance. Except I think I bruised a rib or something, during our dress rehearsal. After the show, audience members congratulated us on a job well done. I suppose you can say they were kvelling! ;)
Our next performance isn't for another 4 weeks. So until then, I'm going to spend time trying to continue to improve my dietary, spending, what-to-do-with free-time habits and any other habit I need to fix.

Today was sort of my recovery day. As a company we've going strong and working hard for concerts this season. We've had, on average about 2 performances a month. Which doesn't sound like a lot, but for some reason, I'm feeling it today. And in retrospect, I wasn't sick once this whole season! Cool! I've kind of been fighting the urge to go and pamper myself now, for doing such a good job in my first season with the company. Sure I'll take an epsom salt bath and going to PT, but I need to not overdo it. I can't have all my money disappearing!
But anyway, being a new company member can be difficult at times. Learning 6-7 rep pieces and a new piece can sometimes feel like your brain is going to explode. But it didn't and on Sunday (at JCC in Detroit) at one point I actually got goose-bumps while I was dancing! What a thrill.
I feel proud for the hard work I put in to it and yet feel humbled to be able to perform and do what I love!

Well, I suppose I that's sort of it for now.

But, maybe I'll let you know how I'm doing in my self-improvement this summer.




5 comments:

Aimee said...

You were in Detroit? And I'm so bummed I didn't know! I would have loved to see you dance again. And I'm sure Joel would have tolerated being dragged along. I went to your company's home site and see you do a lot of performances in NJ. I'll have to keep my eye out so if you come to Michigan again, I can go. I checked out your bio and watched some old performances on YouTube. So interesting and so cool!!

You have such a gift and talent for dancing. I'm so glad it makes you happy and I really do hope I'll get to see you perform someday!

Cami said...

Ahhh, I miss that goosebump feeling during a performance! There is nothing like it.... :)

Alicia said...

I'm so happy for you that you get to do what you love. Good luck with your summer goals!

Andrea, the little collector said...

Congratulations on a successful season! Hooray! A little pampering is a good thing. Get some R&R then enjoy tackling those projects.

Leslie said...

I'm so glad your brain didn't explode. Messy. ;)

Congrats on the end of your first season! I'm glad you had such a good (even though it was tough) time!