Sunday, February 24, 2008

"You watch your phrase-ology!"

I've always been fascinated by some of the phrases I've heard in my young to adult life. Such phrases have come from my mom, grandma, some East-Coasters, and of course I did some of my own research on the internet.
I can appreciate how idioms offer such distinct and creative imagery, like giving instruction on how to suck chicken eggs, or not touching something with a ten foot pole. A ten foot pole? Why bother?

Share, if you'd like, some of your own cooky phrases. Please, enlighten me, as well as the blogging community.

"More than you can shake a stick at"
a very large number of something.
*I find this imagery hilarious...my mom does a good impression
of this.

"Don't try to teach your Grandma to suck eggs"
Don't offer advice to someone who has more experience than oneself.
*did your Grandma ever suck eggs?

"Put your nose out of joint"
Hurt your feelings or upset your plans
*that would hurt

"Dead cat bounce"
A small and temporary recovery in a financial market following a large fall.
*cat lovers WOULD NOT like this one.

"As easy as pie"
very easy.
*now this doesn't make ANY sense. Have you ever made pie?
It's NOT easy! I guess it's the irony that makes this idiom so
useful. Or that one would be so accomplished and efficient at everything else
that making pie would be a piece of cake...er I mean, simple. Now if we were talking easy as EATING a pie, that would definitely apply to me!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna, I tried to think of some of the far-out things my mom used to say, but the only one I can think of right now is: "He wouldn't know sh*t from shinola!" Now that's kind of X-rated and not something I'd really want to put on a blog.
It means that someone is so stupid they might try to polish their shoes with dog poop. Or something of that sort. Anyway, sorry about this but it was all I could think of at the time.
Love, Mom (I'm not really anonymous)