Sunday, April 27, 2008

New Stuff

I got two new gadgets this week!

Nathan and I have been wanting to eat healthier lately, ya know, more fruits and vegetables, whole grains, very little meat. Word of Wisdom style. But I told Nate that the best or easiest way for us to do that is if we eat more leafy green salads. This is fine and all, except that pre-washed salads are usually expensive or, in the recent past, despite the label of being "pre-washed", I've come across a bite of dirt from my bag of greens. Yuck! That's definitely one way to promote "freshness". Stick some dirt in there to make it taste like you're eating it straight out of the ground!

Anyway, I felt strongly about this salad idea and thought rather than going the packaged salad route, we should purchase a Salad Spinner!

2 weeks later, I found a something in our fridge.... It is the coolest! I love pulling the zip cord and watch my lettuce spin out of control, whisking away all the water.


Item 2:

We've also been wanting to purchase a sewing machine. For the same reason why we wanted the salad spinner-to improve our lifestyle and hopefully making us more provident. Well my inspired mother went online to Costco.com and found a machine similar to her's for about $130 . Which is a pretty cool price for a new LCD 70+ stitch sewing machine. Despite it's awesomeness, we hummed and hawed about the $130 machine..."do we really need one?" "maybe we can wait", etc. But my wise mother urged us and so now, we are happy to say that we are owners of a brand new Brother ES-2000 sewing machine. Check it out!

Mind you, I haven't touched the thing. Although, I really wanted a sewing machine...i don't really know how to sew. BUT, I had a lesson when I was 12yrs old and plan on familiarizing myself with this lovely instrument. I'll start small with hemming pants and curtains, then move onto Simplicity and McCall's patterns (i hear their easy).

I know that if I truly were provident I would manage to dry my salads with a towel, or become really skilled at hand-sewing, but I can't say that I have any regrets about purchasing either item.



4 comments:

GeoWulf said...

Well done!.. Anymore I have to calculate for myself how many times I need to use said item before I am justified in the cost of buying it.

That way I at least USE the item I bought and make time for it.

Be careful when using different 'thicknesses' of fabric. they require a different needle for each. ;)

You can always become an apartment gardener. I hear several people have become quite successful growing their own greens (spinach, broccoli, romaine lettuce, etc).

Oh and you should take a look at FREECYCLE...

Tricia said...

This is Tricia. Do you know a Nina Watt? She used to be a member of the Limon company. She said she knows your aunt who teaches in a Flagstaff??? Anyway she said she knew you. I've been working doing an independent study with her this semester. It has been fun

Tricia said...

The independent study began just as a technique study, but evolved into limon repertoire...There were two other girls who were doing an independent study as well. So, each of us learned a different section of "Dances For Isadora" and studied technique through learning choreography. IT was a real treat to learn them from her. She is a phenomenal teacher. She had great things to say about your dancing...she remembered that you were a beautiful dancer.

Unknown said...

My mother in law puts her salad greens in the washing machine. I am proud you are using a more sanitary item.