Saturday, January 12, 2008

Aw, MAN!

For a few weeks now I've been making frequent trips to Columbia Dental School to take care of some issues that my previous dentist felt was necessary. On the list of things to do, were two implants, two extractions and an overall check up of my teeth.
The first round wasn't so bad, the dentist said I needed a root canal on one tooth and should start using fluoride rinse to prevent any cavities for my cavity prone teeth. Good advice Doc!

Now, I've been to the dentist MANY times in my life already. All this business about root canals and extractions weren't new to me. The implant was the scariest looking thing of them all, and implants are pretty common.

You may think I have a history of bad dental hygiene, but if you were to talk to anyone, they would tell you that I floss twice/three times a day and can't even close one eye at bed time, without brushing my teeth! But it's just my genes. (I should stop wearing those genes. HA)

But I digress...where was I....Oh yes!

So, with the New Year here, I thought it was time for me to pay a visit to the oral surgeon to set up my appointment for the dreaded surgery. If I don't do it now, it'll never get done!
Just as it is with the regular dentist, I have to have another oral examination, which requires an xray of my entire mouth (teeth and jaw bone). What came next, was a whirlwind of information.

3 oral surgeons were now in the exam room and one began to tell me about an abnormality they found in my xrays. He pointed out to me that I have possible 2 cysts on my jawbone. He sent me to get a I-Scan (which is a lower grade CAT scan) in their clinic to determine the mass of these cysts. 5 minutes later, I'm looking at 3 large cysts on my jawbone and TMJ. The doctor said he was amazed I hadn't broken my jaw, because the cysts have taken up space where all the bone is suppose to be. He suggested I come back on Thursday for an immediate biopsy and to bring family members with me.

On Thursday, my mom and husband gather around me in the dentist chair as we listen to him explain both the mild and extreme situation, depending on what kind of cyst it is.
Mild: They will drainthe cystic fluid to allow the bone to be replace and then they will scrape out the cyst itself. Extreme: (If the cyst is malginant) Removing the jawbone and TMJ on the left side and replace it with temporary metal jaw. Then later remove prosthetic jaw to graft bone in.

The biopsy was a little terrifying and so is the idea of cancer. But I have already received a blessing and I feel that I will be protected from the worst.

Thank you for your prayers, phone calls, and out pouring love. I am grateful to you all.

Stay tuned...

--Before and After pictures of my biopsy
--How to Puree Pizza into a Soup!

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Holy Cow! That is scary! We will be praying that all goes well!
If you get the implants don;t worry about those they aren't to bad ( I used to work for an oral surgeon).
We love you!
Stacy, Erik, and Jack

Valerie said...

AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! (I didn't know what else to say.)

Aww, Anna, I will definitely pray for you! I'm sure everything will work out just fine! You are a super optimistic person who is surrounded by people who love you a whole lot.

P.S. I guess you don't have to worry about the temptation of eating Skittles for breakfast anymore, eh? Unless you have Skittle juice... hhmmm, I've never tried it, but it sounds like it could possibly work.

Alicia said...

Anna, I'm so sorry! We'll be praying for you. Thanks for your great attitude about everything--you're an example to us all!

Alicia, Dave, and Gracie

Leslie said...

We love you, sweetie!
Les.

Allison said...

Whoa buddy! Dang! You will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care and know that you are loved. And good luck with that pizza soup thing. I'm excited to hear how that works out. You rock.